SwagBucks

Search & Win

Sunday, September 27, 2009

how i got started in the drifting world.

it started when i got my license. i would go over to a gravel back road down by watauga lake. and practice drifting around the gravel turn which is hard to do concidering if you mess up you will either go off into a ditch or you will slide off the bank into the water below. After i felt like i had mastered that. i took to drifting backroads all along johnson county. my favorite being copper head road. yes the same one in the song. after that i was comming home from daniels house and decided to try forge creek. So i came out of daniels road and redlined at 6000rpm in first gear. shifted to second and chirped my tires. Then i redlined at 6000rpm once again. Shifted rpms droped to 4500rpms. i was now at the first turn. So i turn outwards then downshift to second while turning inwards sharply. rpms hit 7500 and i feel the drift start. so i feather the gas as i go around the turn. once i was through the turn i kicked her into a strait line and started up the hill towards the biggest and most dangerous turn. Opon topping the hill. i am running in 4th gear at 3500rpm i then turn outwards downshift to third and turn in hard. motor running at 6500rpms. once the drift was started i aplyed some counter stear making sure not to over do it or i would hit the gard rail. about half way down the hill i started to get to close to the rail so i let off the gas for a sec and taped the brake the aplied the gas. again. this alowed me to pull away from the rail enough so i could make it down the himm while keeping the drift. once off the hill i slowed my car down and pulled off to the side of the road and got out of the car to inspect the hill that i had just came down. I was tempted to do it again but i said better not push my luck tonight. so after that i just drove on home. the next night i was at work and it was raining so the parking lot was slick. so after we closed i decided to have some fun while the others took a smoke break. i got in my car and proceeded to drift around the parking lot. after that i was always looking for the next rain so i could practice more. a time came were i was heading home from daniels and i was speeding as i usualy do at night. i came around a turn and a car passed me and put its breaks on. then i saw blue lights. Automaticly I drop it down to third and take off like a bulit. Then I turn off my lights and find a back road to go down. At the same time i pull down the back road the cop sees the reflector on the rear of my car so he too cuts down the road. Here i am driving no lights going around 65 70mph on a curvy road. trying my best to keep a few turns ahead of the cop. Once i got to the end of the road i turned around to see if i could double back and see if i could shake him So i turn my lights back on and drive the speedlimit back his direction. And watch as he passes me. I pull into a person drive way and turn off the car just in case he came back. i waited there for arounf 10min before i took back off and went home. So months passed and i just kept getting better and better at it. then came a big snow and i had just got my car fixed. and i was at work. there was a foot of snow on the ground on we decided to close the store early because of the snow. i was chosen to take some of the workers home because they knew i could drive in it better than most. But at the same time i was happy cause i got to drift in the snow while taking them home. it was very fun. after that snow fall my car was messed up again. i had rupsured a linkage on my split drive shaft. it took about three weeks to get it road worthy again. then a few months passed and i was growing tired of mountain city cause there was nothing there for me exept friends. My dad offered to let me live with him over here in marion nc. So i jumped at the chance to out of mountain city. Sure it was hard to do but it had to be done. Just a few days after i had moved in. i was out roming the town getting to know my surroundings. When a honda civic pulls up beside me at a red light and the dude starts to talk trash about my car. So i said to him. Why dont you put your motor were your mouth is. I bet you $50 i will kill that honda. Your on he said. So i sit there waiting for the light to turn green and he is reving the engine putting on a big show. And i just sit there with a grin on my face. Then boom the light turns and i take off burning rubber. He kept with me till i hit 3rd then i was gone. I got stoped at a red and he pulled up beside me and said. Quote: DAMN BOY THAT THING IS QUICK. He then asked me to go to the walmart parking lot. So i go to walmart and park beside him. We get out off our cars and he came over to me and shook my hand. Then handed me $50 and said you earned it. We stood there and talked for about an hour when he said. How about you come to the track this weekend and race. I asked what type of race. he replied circut and drift. I accepted the invite. the next thing i know i was at the track and was being put up against mustangs, camaros, civics, 240sx,s and others. i was the only one driving a 29 year old car. I ran the circut and came in third. then we switched over to freestyle drift. So as i was running. i was not aware there was some people in the stands looking for talent. After i was done and was sitting in the pits. a guys comes up to me and says. I want you to drive in a event on the 1st of july here. i asked what type. and he said you will have a chance to get into FormulaD if you win. So i accepted. The first comes around and i go to the track. There were 2 races going on that day and in order to compete in the drifting i also had to compete in the circut race. I won the circut event then came the drifting. and i made it to the final round. and that is were i learned that the guy i would be racing was no rookie. It was Sam Hubinet from the FormulaD series. I knew i was in trouble when i saw him pull up beside me. He was driving a new charger pushing 560hp. First heat he was the lead car and i was having trouble keeping up with him. Then came the second heat were i was the leader. As much as i tried i could not pull away from him. Then came the results of the race. Sam had beat me by alot. But after all was said and done he came up to me and said. You have to be the best rookie i have ever drove with. Sorry you did not make it. but i look forward to racing you next year. With that he left. Since then i have been invited to some races. And that is how i have been paying to maintain my car. I have placed bets with every person i have raced since then. and made alot off that. but that is how i got into the drift scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment